Monday, April 23, 2012

118% Increase in Electricity Price!


BANGLADESH NEWS

I am a service holder with a fixed income and head a family of six members. My electricity consumption varies from 300 to 400 units per month depending on circumstances. I do not operate any A/C except normal electrical devices like fans, tube lights/CFL, refrigerator, etc. In January last, I paid an electricity bill of Tk.1, 196/- for 305 units (@Tk.3.92 per unit). But in March, 2012, I received an electric bill amounting Tk.3, 453/- for 406 units (@Tk.8.51 per unit! ) which means an increase of 118% in unit price! The government claims that it has nominally increased electricity price and will increase it further to offset the subsidy! Will you call a 118% increase within two months a nominal increase? Is there nobody to look after such unjust course of arbitrary price increase by BPDB? What role the Energy Regulatory Commission plays by their so-called public hearings? I would like to draw your kind attention to make some investigative reporting on the subject for the benefit of the people of fixed income like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment