Friday, March 2, 2012

Curse of corporal punishment


BANGLADESH

I regularly go through the English and Bengali newspapers. Reports like sinking value of taka and the deplorable situation of law and order in this country disappoint me. But no politician will ever admit their fault about the situation.

As a father of teenage children, the subject of corporal punishment in schools has been of particular interest to my wife and me over the last one year or so. I think I read every word written on the subject by Sir Frank Peters and other noted writers. In view of the irrefutable evidence presented, I cannot fathom why it is still in practice in our school system unchecked.

In a number of recent reports, I could not help but notice that Sir Frank thanked and praised Justices Imman Ali and Sheikh Hassan Arif and some others for the role they played in trying to eliminate the inhuman practice from the classrooms.

His modesty is refreshing and a lesson to all. The contribution he has already made is incalculably valuable and deserves applause and admiration from every schoolchild as well as my family.

It is shameful that some errant teachers cannot see the serious consequences of corporal punishment as Sir Frank and parents do, or they just don't care. May Allah bless him, watch over and protect him.

No comments:

Post a Comment